TRAVELLING TO GRANADA AND GETTING AROUND THE CITY
Travelling to Granada
These are the two main options to fly to Granada:
1) The most comfortable option is flying to Granada airport. Most likely, this will oblige you to make a stopover in Madrid, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca or London, but it is worth doing it unless the connection is terrible. On arrival you can quickly and easily reach your hotel by bus or by taxi.
2) You can save money (and even time if the connection is not good) flying to Malaga, Spain’s third biggest international airport with connections all over the world (125 km from Granada). There are buses directly linking Malaga airport and Granada and (if the timetable does not fit your needs) Malaga bus station and Granada bus station. See more detailed explanations below. It is also very easy to rent a car at Malaga airport.
- Bus Granada Airport - Granada
The operating company is Alsa whose name is normally displayed on the side of each bus. There is no specific time of departure for the buses from the airport to Granada; the bus leaves after the arrival of each flight. It usually takes 20-25 mins to Granada Bus Station. The fare is 2,70 euros from the Airport to Granada city center. The ticket is purchased directly on the bus and there is no need to book. The bus stop in Triunfo Square is three minutes (walking distance) from Hotel Abba and one minute from the Research Forum venue.
- Taxi Granada Airport – Granada
A taxi from Granada airport to downtown Granada costs around 28-30 euros and takes 20 minutes.
- Bus Malaga Airport - Granada
Malaga is the biggest international airport close to Granada and there are many cheap flights to the main European airports. Malaga airport is 125km from Granada and it takes about 90 minutes to drive from Malaga to Granada. There are direct buses from Málaga airport to Granada bus station (7 buses per day at 8.30 / 10.45 / 11.00 / 11.30 / 16.00 / 18.30 / 20.45). The journey by bus takes between 90 minutes and 120 minutes.
If these times do not suit you, we recommend going to the main bus station at Maria Zambrano via the train from Malaga Airport and then take a bus from there.
You can buy tickets online, at the ticket office or by phone. You can board the bus with either your book reference number, show you SMS for mobile boarding or with your printed ticket.
- Bus Malaga-Granada
There are frequent buses travelling between Málaga bus station and Granada bus station. The journey takes between 90 minutes and 120 minutes.
- Train Malaga Airport – Malaga Railway Station (facing the Bus Station)
The journey time is around 12 minutes. Trains start at the Airport and run approximately every 20 minutes, depending on the time of day.
- Bus Madrid - Granada
There are regular buses throughout the day between Madrid and Granada. The journey takes between four-and-a-half and six hours, costing between 18 and 35 euros.
- Train Madrid-Granada
There are several daily trains from Granada to Madrid. The total journey time from Madrid to Granada using Ave (via Antequera) is between 3.55 and 4.13 hours, and in Avant train between 4.25 and 4.39 hours. The ticket price is 77 euros for Ave. It is 30 minutes slower, but much cheaper and easier to go by bus.
There are frequent flights from Barcelona to Granada and they could save you a lot of time and money, especially if booked well in advance.
There are regular flights from Madrid to Granada and they can be very cheap if booked in advance.
Getting around the city
- How to reach and move about Granada
- Local buses
- Alhambra and Generalife
- University of Granada